2021 Summer Clean Plans
Following targeted chewing gum removal activities in November 2020, with the objective to tackle cleanliness, and improve the visitor experience we have been able to reinstate plans from a proposed spring clean in 2019 for a summer cleaning event for 2021 by bringing businesses and the community together to build on this vision.
The plans now focus on creating a longer lasting legacy, by creating a catalyst of shared responsibility in keeping the town clean. These events will serve as a reminder that everyone should be able to live, work and socialise in a town that is clean and welcoming.
What are we doing?
- A series of projects to tidy up the town and get Northampton looking its best
- Working with multiple partners and organisations including West Northamptonshire Council, Northampton Town Council, The Town Mayor, Veolia, The Wombles, and Northamptonshire Community Foundation
- Bringing the community and businesses together
Mark Mullen, Northampton Town Centre BID operations manager.
The buzz has been back in Northampton ever since the return of non-essential retail and people are enjoying rediscovering their town centre. With a renewed energy around the place, now is the time for everyone to join together to help get the town back to its beautiful best.
We want to get businesses taking a few hours out of their day to give their premises a mini-makeover, improving the town centre environment and making it even more attractive to shoppers and visitors.
A Week of Action
- August 23 will form the focal point of a week of action across the town, starting with a Business Tidy Day from 9am-1pm. Other days will see similar activities organised by Northampton Town Council, with each councillor taking the lead for their individual wards.
- During this time, businesses are also encouraged to clean their windows, sweep the pavements, paint woodwork and carry out any tasks to tidy-up their doorways, taking before and after pictures to show the difference they have made.
How do I get involved?
- Community groups are also encouraged to get involved and can apply for a grant of up to £3,000 to conduct their own activity through the Constance Travis Global Goals fund via the Northamptonshire Community Foundation website.
- If you are a business and want to be involved in the Business Tidy Day or want to send us your before and after photos, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like to attend one of the planned Tidy Days, please see the events table below and make direct contact with the organiser to book your place.
- Northampton Town Council has been helping to organise community groups and councillors to encourage a combined effort to make Northampton cleaner and greener. Anyone interested in getting involved should call Northampton Town Council on 01604 349310 or email email@example.com